Thursday, December 6, 2012

WFD? Buttermint Marshmallows

Thursday, December 6, 2012
I think I get excited for cold weather.  Which is weird for me because I don't like to be cold.... but I know that when the weather gets cold, I get to wear comfy boots, long sleeves, scarves.  I get to stay inside and do indoor crafts and games with my kiddo.  I get to light fires in the fireplace  decorate my house drink hot cocoa.

I think it's mostly about the cocoa if I'm going to be honest.

Anyway, I like to make my own marshmallows because they do this amazing melty thing on the top of your cup.  You literally get a creamy bit of mallow in every sip.  It's heaven.

Well, I like my peppermint cocoa...and since we have moved to a small town I haven't been able to find my peppermint cocoa.  I know, I know...there's Amazon.  I could order it...but that requires planning ahead...yuk.  I have a hot cocoa compulsion and I can't wait for 2 day shipping even if it's free.

So this year when I made my marshmallows....I made Buttermint Marshmallows





Buttermint.  Yes buttermint,.  Because they taste like peppermint and butter.  Like those pastel mints you get at the store.  But gooey....

Homemade Buttermint Marshmallows
(altered from this recipe here)


  • 3 packages unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup ice cold water, divided
  • 12 ounces granulated sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • Butter Flavored Nonstick spray


Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup of the water. 
In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees or 7 to 8 minutes. Once the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat.
Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and peppermint during the last minute of whipping. 
While this is whipping, prepare a 9x13 metal pan by spraying it with the nonstick spray and dusting it with powdered sugar.  (I know some recipes call for cornstarch too but I've never used it and my mallows turn out just fine).  Pour your mixture in your pan, smooth with a spatula and let cool overnight (4 hours at least).


Once your mallows are set, dust again with powdered sugar.  Now it's time to cut them.  The easiest way is to cut them with a pizza cutter into squares.  This time I used a heart cookie cutter and cut them out.  Then I drizzzled them with some chocolate candy melt.  They're good all on their own.  Minty, creamy, chocolate goodness.....

Now, we use butter flavored cooking spray because I have found that marshmallow picks up any flavor it comes in contact with.  By using the butter flavored spary, I can impart a subtle buttery flavor.  Mint or not, I make marshmallows that way because it gives it just a little depth.

They're SO good!  Far superior to a store bought marshmallow in my humble opinion.  And they're so easy and cost efficient to make!  I really hope you and your family will give homemade marshmallows a shot this year!









2 comments:

Paula said...

It's cold here, I have the fireplace lit, I'm wearing a cozy sweater and I wish I had a cup of your hot cocoa with a few of those beautiful marshmallows warming me right now.

Nancy Paine said...

Ali, My daughter and I love to make marshmallows, and I was thinking peppermint this year! We are on the same wavelength! Yum! Thanks!

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios