Monday, December 3, 2012

Mayan 12-12-12

Monday, December 3, 2012
I'll get straight to it.

My very good friend (and Cookie Con roomie) Pam gave us all some beautiful new cutters while we were at Cookie Con.  And then she asked some of us if we would come up with some creative uses for her new homespun tree cutter.

I love Pam, so naturally I said....ALI BEE IS GO!

I thought about it for a long time.  An finally I came up with a design that has NOTHING to do with Christmas!


Because I'm a kook like that.

Nope, instead it has to do with THE END OF THE WORLD!

Festive huh?



Actually I was chatting with a cookie friend or two, and was reading about the whole 12-12-12 thing.  And I was saying to her...well, it's not Christmas .....but it's seasonal.  ??

So I went ahead and did it.


Here's the shape of her homespun tree cutter.  Cute huh?

Now, I would go through some long tutorial, but I think y'all are smart enough to see what I did.  I just cut off the bottom "trunk" of the tree before I baked it so I had this blocky pyramid shape.  Piped on a pyramid. Used my airbrush and my Americolor gold sheen to give it a little shimmer.  I liked the idea of a golden Mayan pyramid (don't know why, South American sunset on the stones??).  Put some grass on (flood green.)  When it was dry i painted some "tree trunks" which were just lines. and then piped "tree tops" (aka blobs) over that.  A couple "doorways" painted on the top layer and done.






The other symbols are Mayan symbols I Googled.  I believe they mean:
flower
companion spirit
shield

Random yes?  Good.

Anyway, it was fun to do.  I was sick all weekend.  I had plans to take this whole thing to an epic extreme!  But, a runny nose and a congested brain make decorating kind of like painting on acid (or so I would imagine)....?  Basically, not easy

Or in some artists cases...amazing art.

I'm not one of those artists.....

Anyway, before I get too weird....(I might still be a little sick) time to go and start working on the next project for December.  It's promising to be an action packed month!

In the meantime, please go and check out these wonderful creations by all my friends!  They also took Pam's cutter and made something unique and special.



2 CeCe – Tactical Baker
3 Laurie – Cookie Bliss
4 Andrea – Cupookie
5 Christine – Sugar Cravings
6 Heather – Sugar Nosh Treats
7 Lorraine – Lorraine’s Cookies
9 Nancy – Seasons of Joy
10 Kim – The Partiologist
11 Maryann – Cookie Artisan
12 Jen – Posh Pastries
13 Jennifer – Cookie Cutter Creations
14 Tricia – The Cookie Loft Girls
15 Elizabeth – Lizy B Bakes
16 Stephanie – Ice My Biscuit
17 Melissa – The Baked Equation
18 Liz – Arty McGoo


Thanks for reading today!!  I'll be back with more stuff next week for sure!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww....I love you too, Ali. And I love what you did with the cutter. Random....yes, but wonderful. :)

THanks for participating. Sorry you were sick. You still did an epic job. Who knows what you would have come up with being completely healthy! :)

Melissa said...

Too funny! What a uniquie idea? I would have never thought to do a doomsday cookie!

Anonymous said...

Your cookies are amazing along with all the other foods you make. I have read an amazing series of books about the end date (12-21-12) and i thought you might he interested in them! Its in the paranormal romances genre. The Nightkeeper Series by Jessica Andersen. These cookies made me think about her books so i thought i would share!
Kara :)

Alison said...

Thanks for the book rec! I love sci fi paranormal reads! :)

Alison said...

thanks for asing me to participate Pam. Luv you!

Alison said...

hahaha! well I don't know what it says about me when everyone is thinking Christmas and I'm thinking END OF THE WORLD. Hopefully not anything serious..... ;)

Anonymous said...

Only you could make the end of the world that glamorous!!!!!! I think this is amazing and I love that it isn't traditional and gets you thinking of what other non traditional designs can be made with this fun cutter! You NEVER disappoint!
Maryann - Cookie Artisan

Nancy Paine said...

Your idea was creative, I love it! It was such a fun project, so glad Pam asked me to join in the fun!

The Partiologist said...

So funny - love how your mind works and love your cookies!! :)

Unknown said...

Love these so much!!! Crazy impressed with the extra mayan symbols too! So great meeting you at Cookie Con!

Andrea said...

I just love this whole concept you did with the cutter. Brilliant & beautiful.

triciaz said...

Love your take on this cutter, Ali. Great job!!

JenniferG said...

Totally creative Ali! I was just amazed when I saw these.

Susie said...

well, it is coming...I even made sure my college kids would be home that day, and we are having our Thanksgiving that day!

Unknown said...

Ali these are really cool. Who knew you'd venture into 2000BC when decorating but I bow to you for this design and for an ingenious creativity.

Sue said...

So unique, and perfectly done! My birthday is on 12/12/12 so I hope I get to celebrate before the end:)

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios