Thursday, May 19, 2011

Vintage Barbie Baby Shower

Thursday, May 19, 2011
I want to tell you that these cookies were a particular challenge.  I was asked to make Vintage Barbie cookies for a baby shower...if you look around on the internet you will see tons of images for a vintage Barbie....all in black and pink.   Very Paris.


And then I was told I could NOT do pink and black...*sigh*  Suddenly things got a bit trickier.  You would be surprised haw hard it is to design anything Barbie without the pink and black combo..I mean it wouldn't seem like it, but give it a shot....and then incorporate baby somewhere.

It would have been so much easier to do black and pink...

This is the inspiration I used instead






In the end, I am glad that I didn't have the option because I like what I ended up with SO much more than I would have liked the black and pink... :)


To top it off, I was away from home when I made these.  We went to visit my in-laws for Mother's Day and we ended up staying the rest of the week because two things happened.

One cool thing:  My husband had a job interview *yay!*

One bad thing:  My dog that I've has since college had a heart attack and died on the way to the hospital.  :(  So we had to wait for her ashes to come back from the crematory.

Basically I was away from all of my supplies so I had to hit up the local Michaels and make what I could find work.  Slim pickin's....

Despite the setbacks, I think they turned out pretty well tho!



So Thanks Caroline for challenging me (by banning the black and pink combo).  :)










Mandy 2002 - 2011
We'll miss you Adventure Dog

17 comments:

Tennjenny said...

I'm so sorry about Mandy. She was gorgeous, and I'm sure a wonderful girl.

The cookies are phenomenal. So creative I can't believe it.

jeany said...

Hi Alison
Firstly I want to say I am so sorry to hear about Mandy,I have a CKC & I know how adoreably affectionate they are ((hugs))
Secondly I am doing a happy dance that I have found your blog,you are amazing & I am going to try ice my cookis a bit more professionaly tomorrow...lol

Jean x x ( Ireland)

Two Minute Takes said...

First of all, sincere condolences on the sudden loss of your beloved Mandy. She was a beautiful dog and I'm sure she will be deeply missed by everyone in your family.

Secondly, I've never baked cookies outside of my own kitchen, I don't even know if I could! You did an awesome job on these, they are all wonderful.

Elizabeth @ Lone Stars And Stripes said...

Absolutely lovely! The pram is particularly exquisite.

And I'm truly so sorry about your loss.

faithy said...

These cookies are gorgeous! I loved how you showed us what inspired your cookie designs. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog and i'm sure she will be missed. I can't believe that you can bake & decorate such wonderful cookies in a different environment and place..i would not be able to do so. You are so talented!

Kristen said...

Aww I am so sorry to hear about your poor dog :( Losing pets is so hard!! The cookies however are amazing! Beautiful job!

FromTheHeartsOf said...

Those cookies are exquisite!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your beautiful, furry friend. The love of a pet is like no other....

Aunt Mary Anne's Cookies said...

Ali, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss; four-legged family members are a one-of-a-kind blessing.

I'm so surprised to hear that these cookies were decorated with hobby store slim pickings; it just goes to show that your level of talent is a true gift...these are some of my all-time favorite cookies. Can't say enough about how original and pretty they are!

Brenda said...

I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. Our pets are truly family and loosing them is so hard to do.

Yaneri said...

These cookies turned out way better than black and pink! Holy Smokes girl, you really rocked these out!!

I'm so sorry to read about your doggie :o( so sad. I have 2 Cairn Terriers and I would be sooooo sad and devastated if anything happened to them.

Yaneri

Stacy said...

Oh Ally, I had a beloved buff cocker spaniel named Mandy (and another one after that named Holly). I'm so sorry about your girl. They take a little piece of our hearts with us when they go. The cookies are fab, especially being away from your cookie tools (been there, done that)!

fran n va said...

Love your blog and your cookies are amazing. Do you give out your recipes for cookies, icings and your wonderful hubby's birthday cake? I would love to know how you make all the details so beautiful.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. And then I saw the picture- I have a king charles cavelier and she is like another child to me. Was going to tell you how much I loved your latest cookies, but its overshadowed by this sad news.
Big hugs,
Lisa
theenchantedoven.blogspot.com

♥Sweetly Made♥ said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about Mandy. I have a little dog that I love with my whole heart, she is my child, I couldn't imagine losing her. My heart weeps for your loss.

I don't know how you soldiered on... you truly are amazing and so are your cookies.

Half Baked said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Mandy. Hugs to you.

Despite everything, these cookies turned out amazing! I absolutely love the baby onesies!! I'd love to feature your work on Half Baked. Send me a note if you're interested!

Anonymous said...

Siento reamente el fallecimiento de tu perrito. Yo ya he pasado por eso y se lo que es.
Las cookie barbi preciosas. Un saludo desde Barcelona (España)
Disculpa pero cuesta mucho identificar las letras para poner un comentario no se ven con claridad las letras.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios