Friday, May 27, 2011

May 22, 2011

Friday, May 27, 2011
As many of you may know, on May 22, 2011 the deadliest single tornado in US history tore through the small, quiet town of Joplin, Mo killing over 120 people*.  



Now many of you might not be familiar with this jewel right off historic Route 66, but since I met my husband back in 2002, I have come to love this town.  While it's a town of 50,000, it is the central hub to many surrounding towns and communities.  It's one of those places where everyone knows everyone (whether you like it or not).  Where there's a deep sense of community.  Small businesses outnumber larger corporate establishments.  I swear some of the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life has been at a tiny little place off Rangeline Rd.  And for the last 3 years I have spent about one weekend a month visiting family and friends in Joplin.  

But now it's gone.  People are missing.  Businesses, schools, neighborhoods...all leveled and buried under a pile of debris.  My father in law even worked at the St. Johns hospital that was damaged.  


I can't be there to help and I wish I could.  But I have a toddler to raise.  My husband already left to do his part helping his home town recover from the devastation.  He calls me everyday with a new heartbreaking story.  Today he told me the tale of a young man he went to high school with that used his own body as a human shield to protect his wife and child from the storm.  He was just released from the hospital with a beaten body to find his home destroyed and in need of the charity of others.

So!  There is only one thing to do....

Host an auction.

Ali Bee's Bake Shop is pairing up with JP Creatibles to host an online auction to raise money for Joplin Disaster Relief**.  We want to make this big people!  Lets raise some money and help this tight knit community.  But first we need generous people like you to help lend a hand.  We are looking for anyone who wants to donate goods and services for auction.  I know I have a cookie/baking blog but you don't have to be a baker to be involved.  This is an open call for anyone who wants to help!  I will naturally be contributing my own items to the cause and I hope you will consider participating too.  If your not into crafting or donating items please come back and bid!  

For more updates and information please head over to Prayers, Love & Joplin!!






* Final death count is yet to be determined.
** Foundation to be determined

6 comments:

Brenda said...

My heart goes out to these people and this is a wonderful thing you are doing. I am not artsy, crafty, but will be glad to help by bidding. We must help those in need even when times are hard for everyone, sometimes the smallest act is a greatness to others, they need us.

Brenda

Two Minute Takes said...

Ali, I can't imagine what the past week has been like for you and your husband and I'm so sorry that the devastation in Joplin has hit your family so personally. This auction is a great idea to offer help to all those who now must start the recovery and reconstruction process. Best wishes for a very successful endeavor and God Bless.

FromTheHeartsOf said...

I sent you an email. Just let me know how I can help! Thanks!!

Linzy said...

Hi Ali Bee! I would love to donate a dozen sandwich or sugar cookies. Please let me know how I can help!

Linzy
sandwich.cookies.cakes@gmail.com
flourandsugarthoughts.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ali if not too late I would love to bake and donate cookies or something to the auction!


sweets4yourtooth@gmail.com
http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

Tech Integration Educators said...

What Joplin has experienced is devastating. It is inspirational to follow the news of their recovery. God Bless the residents, recovery and assistance crew who have been resilient and determined to help this community.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios