Friday, May 6, 2011

Cinco De Mayo!

Friday, May 6, 2011
Ok so Cinco de Mayo was yesterday...but I went to a movie last night and didn't have a chance to post anything till now.

(Went and saw Thor.  It was pretty good...not great...I find 3D movies distracting so it's probably worth another viewing....)

Anywho, I thought I would share a very quick and SUPER easy to throw together recipe.  (Sorry it's not a sweet one....although I'm working on some stuff in the realm of cookies..."realm"...dang Thor movie).  This is a dish that we make quite frequently around our house because it's just so dang easy and cheap...and delicious.

Shredded Pork (for tacos...or over rice....or a Cuban sandwich....or whatever...it's PORK)

And all you need is 3 things:
A center pork loin roast
Goya Mojo Crillo
Mexican beer


Preheat your oven to 425
Get your dutch oven out (love my Le Cruset) and put your pork in it.  Dump your bottle of Mojo and your bottle of beer over your pork.  Now here's the deal, you want that liquid to cover the pork because as it cooks it's going to evaporate and you kinda want that pork submerged so it will get nice and tender, soaking up those juices.  You will notice at this time (depending on the size of your pork loin) that this is not enough liquid.  So here's where this recipe is going to differ for some.  If your sensitive to salt, please take my advice and put water in the dutch oven till your liquid level rises to cover your pork.... the marinade is salty enough on it's own.  But if you like big bold (slightly salty) flavor do what I do and double it.  An extra bottle of Mojo and another bottle of beer.  To me this is the perfect combo.
Put it in your oven and cook it for 3 hours.  Yes you could probably cook it on a lower temperature for a longer period of time if that's how you wanna do it but I generally forget to make dinner till the last minute...getting up with the birds and cooking dinner all day long is a charming thought, but not my thing.

When it's done pull it out of the oven and shred it with 2 forks


Yummy

Serve it in a fresh tortilla with a little queso fresca and guacamole.


Other ways to serve it:
Over rice (with a touch of the juices) topped with Avocado and Tomato salsa
Cuban Snadwich - Put come pork, ham, cheese, pickle, mustard, in a hallowed out hoagie roll and press it on the stove or a panini press till hot and melty.
....whatever you like pork in...

It's good.  Easy.  Cheap.  Simple.  Fool proof.  Serves a lot of people.

And that is what we ate yesterday in honor of Cinco de Mayo.  :)

4 comments:

Paula said...

Better late than never Ali and I'm glad you posted. These wraps look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy Goya Mojo? I cant find it anywhere...
Tatyana

April said...

Looks great, I just put this into my oven, the marinade smells amazing I can't wait to eat!

Thanks for the recipe!

Alison said...

Tatyana: I just find mine in the local grocery store. However, I live in Texas...if you live up north it may not be readily available? I might be spoiled by Mexican imports. You might be able to order it.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios