Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Perspective

Tuesday, January 26, 2010
I want to write a blog.  I really do.  But I have a problem.

As I sit here and pour over my favorite blogs (which I neglected over the holidays...I have a kid and it was Christmas...I feel justified) I start to realize :  They have so much more talent than I do.  I'm not brilliant, not perfectly skinny and blonde, I dont have a gift for witty writing, my photography skills are sub-par at best.  I don't know how they schedule their days to find and create everything, and then on top of that photograph it perfectly and then open Etsy shops and go on book tours....  I cant seem to keep the house clean and the laundry done.  So, although I have such amazing visions and aspirations of creative grandeur, I have not the capabilities... le sigh. 
So what should I do?  Well, I suppose the only thing I have left to blog about is the stuff I do everyday.  Sounds boring.  But I have been on a mission lately.  You see I gained over 60 pounds before I had my beautiful little girl.  And I have been trying (the wrong ways) to lose it for a year. 
Let's backtrack.  Before I was blessed with the gift of carrying my first beloved child I worked at a gym.  I was your local personal trainer.  Yes, me, I know.  At about 137...I'm 5' tall...I was pretty muscular.  Trim and fit.  I had abs, I had definition in my thighs, ah yes...that was 2 years ago this March.  And even at that...I was never conventioanlly skinny.  I was curvacious and a little on the (as an old friend used to call it) "thick"  side.  But I was happy with the way I looked.  I looked pretty good.




that's me on the far left.

breakin it down on my wedding day

Now lets come back to date.  

this ain't pretty folks


really really not pretty...

Over the last year I managed to lose 10 pounds of what was left of my post-partum weight through mainly yo-yo dieting.  Only to gain 8 pounds of it back over the Holidays.  Obviously not working. 
And you know what this year is don't you?  Oh you don't have a copy of my yearly schedule in front of you?  I'll help you out.  It's 2010.  It's the year of my high school reunion.  Ouch. Not only one reunion to attend.  I'm going as my best friend's date to her high school reunion....which happens to be my hometown reunion. (I switched HS half way through so I have the HS I graduated from and the HS that I know everyone from growing up).  Did I mention that my husband graduated the same year I did?  Yep, one more high school reunion....where I get to run into all of his HS ex girlfriends and meet some of his friends for the very first time.  David fell in love with a pretty hot tamale.  I don't want to embarass him.  And if that isn't enough, it's also the year one of my girlfriends from college gets married.  In Mexico.  I've never been to Mexico.  I've barely been anywhere.  I have to get a passport for the first time in my life.  And I refuse to go to Mexico for the first time and sit in sweats at the bar while everyone else bakes in the sun getting all leathery and brown.  I want to have fun too and I don't want my self esteem to get in the way of my vacation. 
So you see I have no lack of serious motivation.  I gotta get crakin'. 
So when we got back early January from Missouri I put David and I on a diet.  And the right way this time.  I know what to do.  I studied Nutrition at Baylor!  I was a personal trainer!  I have the tools....why don't I use them?  I mean if I can't do it then I'm just not trying am I?
So here's the goal.  I want to lose 20-25 pounds by April.  That's about 1-2 pounds a week.  Which is healthy and slow.  That will put me at 11-6 pounds heavier than when I got pregnant.  I can live with that on the beach.  I just want to wear real clothes again.  I want my energy back.  I want to feel like me.
Now, I am not trying to make this a weight loss blog.  I'll probably mention the weight loss week to week.  But the new thing that I've been getting excited about also involves my passion.  Food.  I love food (obviously, it's a borderline problem).  But I realized that about every night this week I have made a new dish for dinner.  Always light and low fat and healthy.  But all have been surprisingly tastey and good.  So if I review a new low fat recipe here and there don't be surprised.  Sometimes I feel like I just have to share.  Doesn't mean I still wont revel in Bakerella and Sweet Paul.  I <3 U.  But my resolve is strong.  I know I can do this. 
So to sum up I will be blogging about what I know, and what I have time to do...which is change.
I started January 5th.  So far I have gone from 174.5 to 167.8 in the last 3 weeks.  That almost 7 pounds.  I can be proud of that.  Now I just need to keep it up

Nothing tastes as good as success.

0 comments:

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios